Old 12-03-21, 06:33 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by str
on nice beautiful paved roads I guess
I hit a pothole in the middle of the night at 40 mph so hard, I chipped my teeth. Wheel and tire were fine.

I don't think any roads have been beautiful. One of my favorites is that hideous stretch going south from Wyoming into Colorado on the Transam. A 3 inch wide crack about 2 inches deep every 30 or so feet. But, it is not a mountain bike. I'll ride gravel if I have to but I do not find gravel to place much force on the rims because I ride gravel slower and force increases as the square of speed.

I did not mention but the last 25K miles are on a recumbent. In case that means nothing to you, it is impossible to unweight on that bike. You hit a pothole with full force unlike on an upright where one instinctively unweights lessing the blow.

I have bent and dented many, many aluminum rims over the years but have never dented a carbon rim and rarely have need to retrue them (can't recall ever needing to do that)

I do have a set of 40H/48H touring wheels with bolt on Phils if you want to buy them, they haven't been ridden in 15 years. No need with strong carbon rims