View Single Post
Old 12-07-21, 11:29 AM
4evrplan

Bikes: cheapie Schwinn - ride what you got.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
@mtnbud, no they're not separate.

And, to make a more general address,

You guys out west and in big cities are lucky to have things like LBSs and bike coops, but in spite of all the open space here, there isn't much of an outdoor community unless you count seasonal hunting. But, I can get a brand new Shimano integrated shifter/brake lever online for $25.44, delivered. Let me worry about whether or not it's worth it; I just wanted to know if I had the technical aspects right.

If I sound frustrated, please know I appreciate both of you taking the time to answer and give your insights. It's just that every time I post here, I know it's going to be a battle. I'm on a tight budget and trying to find ways to participate in fun interesting activities with very little resources. I'm on a side of things that is a different world from a lot of people in the hobby, at least the demographic that usually posts on this forum. I'm genuinely very happy for folks that can justify spending big bucks on their toys, but some of the things said to posters here, from my perspective, feels like snobbery and elitism. If folks like me can ride inexpensive bikes and have a great time doing it, that doesn't take away from those that are spending more, doing more miles, riding harder and faster, are more steeped in the culture, etc. Congratulations, you should be doing those things and enjoying them to the fullest! But, if you somehow feel threatened by people with fewer resources doing whatever they can, if you feel like they are encroaching, that's your own insecurity talking. I hope this forum can become a more inviting, accepting place.
Likes For 4evrplan: