Old 12-08-21, 09:28 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 1,024 Posts
Gosh, it doesn’t look bad in the vids to me; I see the turn direction lights are all already indicating when you start each video segment, and then a beeps goes off right after you completed the turn, which I imagine is the signal to indicate you should have made the turn. Is there a beep before the turn, like perhaps when the turn direction lights start, to indicate the turn is coming up?

I certainly see the issue you’re talking about with displayed distance to turn; it would be nice if that were more accurate, and I can understand there are some road and trail situations where relying on the distance-to-turn reading could cause confusion and put one on the wrong course.

I suppose, though, having used GPS nav on phones for vehicle driving so long, I don’t have any expectation of great accuracy in the 20ft range, and I rely on a combination of the “hey, a turn is coming up” indications, a quick glance at the map, and then a real-time look at road possibilities. In most cases where I drive, that’s pretty effective because possible turn options (e.g. intersections, alleys, etc.) aren’t that closely spaced so it’s easy for me to figure the turn indicated in 25ft must be the one I’m right on top of because the next one is way more than 25ft feet away.

Now that’s on a phone sampling at 1hz, so if I’m moving at 50mph and GPS is generally accurate within 32ft (10m), that’s a lot ground covered in 1sec that’s not properly accounted for in addition to normal error distance. A bike traveling at 15mph is doing 22ft per second, so again, it seems like being 25ft off the mark is pretty much on par with what we’d expect could be the error at a sampling rate of once per second (assuming Bolt and other head units sample at 1hz, which I think is pretty standard).

In my car, when I need greater GPS accuracy, I have a high-speed, 10hz (10 cycles per second) GPS unit so that I can get accurate acceleration readings for things like 0-60mph and 1/4mi runs. The 1hz sampling rate of phone GPS is too inaccurate for reliable measurements at those speeds and intervals.

I haven’t used turn-by-turn nav on a cycling GPS unit— I have the v.1 Bolt, so have to watch the screen and know my turns are upcoming— but there, too, I don’t get anywhere near 100% location accuracy with regards to my indicated position on the route, and it’s pretty typical for the map to lag in updating after completing a turn, so the issues the OP is highlighting are not unfamilar, but I also don’t think they’re outside of the normal range of operation for any cycling GPS unit.

Heck, I’d be well stoked to get an audible heads-up for upcoming turns; that’d really improve my cycling life! As I said earlier, I see the indicator lights are firing in the OP’s vid saying, essentially, “make next turn,” but I’m really curious if there’s an audible call out to go along with that.

I’ve never used a Karoo, but it’s supposed to have better nav— for whatever reason— than any other cycling computer, so that might be something for the OP to look into and see what it’s about if Bolt is not worth adapting to (or should I say, second guessing?!). Again, I’m not a heavy TbT nav user myself and don’t have familiarity with all the performance nuances, but certainly get how the displayed performance would be very frustrating for someone wanting to rely on the nav to take the worry out of finding the way.

To the extent Bolt v.2 has other issues, I dunno, but certainly the combo of disappointment and bugs would be maddening. I’ve been wanting to upgrade from Bolt to Bolt v2, but this thread has alerted me to the fact I need to take a closer look at how the new unit is performing. I know DC Rainmaker was frustrated with it, but that was back upon release, like 1 year ago, so I was kind of assuming the issues were resolved, but apparently they may not be based on what I’m hearing here.