Old 12-10-21, 01:23 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
I just want to reiterate what others have indicated above — Work hard at your PT, and don’t really do any more than what the doctor and PTs allow you. I had a torn rotator cuff (Supraspinatus) repaired when I was about 52 (I’m 60 now). Post-op, about all I was allowed to do outside of PT was stationary cycle…mostly on a recumbent (lots of reading and listening to music during that). I also swim and run a lot. Obviously the swimming was out. I asked if I could run (jog) on the treadmill while in the sling, and holding onto the rail with my good arm/hand. The doc said that the healing process at the injury repair is so sensitive that the slight bouncing up and down of my surgical arm while jogging would cause lots of little micro tears in the muscle where the suture was made, and result in lots of unwanted scar tissue. He said it wouldn’t cause trouble (e.g. pain) in a year, or even five years. But eventually it would…and probably require another surgery. AND…as I’m sure you’ve already discovered…recovery from rotator cuff surgery is a b!tch. Not something I want to go through again. Just hang in there and do recovery the way the professionals are telling you. You’ll be better in the long run. As I said…I also swim a lot. I’d kinda thought my days of ‘fast’ swimming were behind me. But once I was allowed to resume swimming…I was eventually swimming faster times than prior to my injury. Good luck.

Dan