Old 12-16-21, 08:59 PM
sdimattia

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Bombtrack Hook, Bombtrack Tension, Vitus Substance

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
a small frame bike may be too cramped for full size rear panniers.
possibly consider replacing the fork with one suitable for touring with front bags.
would that surley fork be correct geometry?
I'm not sure how you mean "correct geometry" but the fork does have rack mounts. The Pack Rat was designed as a 26" front loader. Again, I'm not really looking to swap the forks out but it is one option.

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Rear panniers will just make your bike feel heavier and less responsive. Front panniers will initially feel like you can't steer the bike anymore because the extra weight that you have to move when you try to turn the handlebars. But with a few hours on a bike with panniers, you get used to them and can handle a bike well. But you do not want to try to go around fast corners with heavily loaded panniers, just like a semi-truck driver has to slow down for sharp turns.
I take turns wide and slow with the Surly so I don't tip the dog over. However, that weight is actually fixed to the frame and doesn't move with the handlebars. I'm not a huge fan of putting heavy weight attached to the steering but it sounds like most of this will just be practice and getting used to.