View Single Post
Old 01-14-22, 10:29 AM
alij2018

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
I get the impression, though I am not completely sure, that this is a threaded headset ("tight the start nut") and not a threadless unit. I'm betting on the bent bearing cage. It also is possible that the bearing races are dented (you can see this visually) and that you have the so-called "indexed steering" as a result. This could happen because when you reassembled the headset things lined up differently than before you did the overhaul. Or maybe you had this issue before your maintenance but didn't realize it. I'm curious how you could install cartridge bearings in a threaded headset that was designed for loose/caged bearings.
No this is a threadless headset. I own a Cannondale Trail 5 2020. When I bought the bearings, they were a little bent in my bag. I tried to make them right but they were not fully. I thought that when they will be compressed, they will be shaped to normal again. Well, the bend thing is just an assumption. The only way to find out is to disassemble again. Like I said, even I loose the headset, I can still feel a little tightness. But the handlebar was moving better. However, I cannot ride like that as there will be play.

For the sealed bearing, well, i will install new bearing cup which are coming with it. Already bought online. It will be here next month. I used sealed before, never got that issue. In fact, I have assembled forks many times o different bikes too and even with caged bearing I have never experienced that.