Old 01-17-22, 10:41 PM
M.Lou.B

Bikes: Trek Multitrack 7300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Crankset and BB is one spot I would go depending on the riding you're doing. Typically it came with a heavy triple, I'd replace that with a lightweight double or even 1x. The crank is easily replaceable as the bottom bracket is an english threaded. A decent 2 piece crank will work well and you can find some lighter ones on sale. If it says BB30, PF30, or some other press fit it might not be adaptable to your bike. But shimano, sram, bb386 designed for a threaded BB will fit your bike. Downside is a nicer double may require a different shifter and front der. From what I remember the it was a 48/38/28 mtb crankset, putting on a 48/32 crankset will let the shifting system work while having a nice range of gearing. The wheels are also fairly heavy so a decent wheelset can help some as well, usually it came with a rim labeled 750, its a fairly heavy rim as are the hubs, a nicer wheelset can be found for not a lot. After that its just replacing parts with lighter ones for diminishing returns. Its an easy to upgrade bike and a decent rider as is.
Hello Russ,
thank you so, so much for your reply. I really appreciate the metric ton of good advice. Switching to a lighter 2xsomething crank set is definitely something I will consider in the future once I'm ready to invest in a new set of shifters. You make a good point that a 2 piece is lighter than a 3 piece.
My next plan is to upgrade to some lighter tires, as well as hopefully tubes and a lighter wheelset, though I'm not quite sure yet which one to get. Any recommendations on what to look for would be fantastic. I'm looking at one with 700g front and 1200g rear wheel, is that any good?
Thank you big time for the information on that my BB crankset is English treaded. I learnt that it was most likely a square bottom bracket, so a threaded type, but we weren't sure if English or Italian. Thank you so much! You really know your way around these vintage gems.

I appreciate you not calling me crazy for wanting to tinker with my bike. Thanks for all the help and great advice.
Best regards!