Old 01-20-22, 08:51 AM
M.Lou.B

Bikes: Trek Multitrack 7300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
I believe those rims can fit all the way up to a 35c tire, I doubt it will fit anything wider; if you never ran tires that wide before on that bike you'll have to check to make sure you have the clearance at the fork and brakes to handle that wide of a tire.

Now all that is left for you do to is decide what tire to use.

If you want a faster road type of tire you could also look at the Continental Gatorskin, and the bit tougher version the Gator Hardshell, the largest width they have is a 32 though, but it's a popular commuter tire though not made for gravel. There is also the Panaracer Gravelking SS, this tire has a smooth center section for faster rolling on roads, with aggressive side lugs for gravel, plus it has a very good flat protection belt and a long wearing tread. There are other tires too but that gives you an idea of what else is out there from a couple of top manufactures.

Thank you rekmeyata for your reply and the great tire suggestions.
The Continental Gator Hardshell really intrigues me, it's super light weight, and the Panaracer Gravelking seems like a great option for asphalt with the occasional dirt road, while also having good flat protection. I've been looking for a tire like that.

My current ones are massive Schwalbe Marathons with 40mm width. Yes, they still turn, but it's a tight squeeze. The original ones were 32 or 35, not sure, but the rubber was so brittle that they simply had to go.

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it!