View Single Post
Old 01-22-22, 01:11 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Yes, Eddy changed with the injury. Yes, there are living people who would rather not stir the pot again.

Took a look at some of your Flickr file. You knew Rudy Seno. I have been the painter/handyman at chez Seno since 1984 and have lots of memories of #19. Rudy is gone a long time now, Delores is still living in the same place at age 93.

To understand the ravine start with a ride to Wisconsin and back. The south ramp of the ravine is the steep side. First you must get through the hairpin at bottom in a tight pack. With no visibility around the corner on an open road you had better stay in lane and the lane is narrow. With sand and gravel in the turn more often than not. To remain in contact you have to top that 50 foot rise at 30mph. A quarter mile of flat, then down Tower hill, a giant 30 foot drop but it will send the pace above 40mph. Except when it was above 45. Now 1-1/2 miles dead flat to the sprint. Myself I was in contact at top maybe a dozen times, close enough to see the sprint exactly four times. Your bikes were there lots of times.

Have been off the back many times with visiting pros who were just stunned that tiny hill they had done without a thought going north could be so decisive. Stunned by the commitment of the pack leaning into the bottom turn on sand. And very very surprised that they could not chase back in over the final two miles.