View Single Post
Old 01-28-22, 10:14 PM
M.Lou.B

Bikes: Trek Multitrack 7300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Roadbike Wheel-set for Vintage 135mm Read Hub?

The current wheel-set on my vintage Trek Multitrack 7300 Hybrid bike is very heavy: The rear wheel (without mantle, without tube) weighs 1.9kg, minus the cassette (Shimano Nexave of 300g that's still 1.6kg.

- The sticker on my current wheel-set says Vuelta Rode - Alloy 6063 - ETRTO 622x19 DIN Double Wall, they do have quick release, though I haven't been able to find any information on this. The bike is 22 years, and the wheel-set is most likely just as old.
- Current tyres are heavy Schwalbe Marathon 700x38, 2x810g so that's another 1.620kg. I'm seeking to replace them with 32-35mm tyres, meaning I'll need a C17 wheel-set.

Now here's the issue I've run into: The Hub Size.

- My rear hub measures 135mm. By modern standards that's MTB width, but MTB tyres generally don't come in 28" and don't have rim brakes. Most road-bike tyres on the other hand come with 130mm rear hubs.
- I've also noticed there are different types of hubs: 9x100, 5x100 (front) for example. What is the number before the x? How do I find out what I have and what I need?

I've also briefly considered converting to disc brakes, but my frame doesn't have fix points for that, so I'd need adapters, which would add more weight, and neither my CroMoly fork nor my Alpha Custom Aluminum frame were designed to take those kinds of forces, plus it'd add a ton of weight, hence defeating the purpose - so it looks like I'm stuck with rim brakes (currently V-brakes - would cantis make sense?)

Here is what I know so far:

- 28"
- C17
- rim brakes
- road-bike style (95% asphalt)
- 135mm rear hub
- 100mm front probably? needs to be confirmed
- quick release would be nice
- Shimano Nexave 8 Speed cassette + rim guard/spacer (making it essentially a "9 speed")
- somewhat light weight (not trekking wheels)
- durable enough to handle daily commuting with 63kg plus luggage (work stuff, bike-packing)

I think the Campagnolo Zonda C17 for example would be an awesome upgrade, they do come with Shimano free-hubs, but standard is 130mm. Would it be sensible to use spacers? Aluminum frames don't flex or bend like steel ones, and I don't want to put unnecessary stress on the frame. Would it make sense to get a custom hub installed? Is that even possible with those kinds of wheels? How do I choose the correct hub for my bike?