Thread: Dry Battery
View Single Post
Old 03-10-22, 07:44 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
... It is interesting you brought up the Yellow Jersey bike shop. I know they had this tool because I used it when I worked in the shop when it first opened as a bike co-op in Madison in the early 1970s. There is one person who was still with the store through the three locations it occupied. His name is Andy Muzi and when the bike shop changed from a co-op to a regular store he became the CO of the organization. He knows a heck of a lot about old bikes and would be a good person to contact with questions you may have.
I moved to Madison in 1988, am largely clueless about bike shop history before that date. I used to buy spokes at Yellow Jersey, they had a spoke cutter so I could bring in my rim, hub, tell them how many cross and they would cut my spokes for me. Cost less than buying spokes at any other store. And they did the measurements and calculations to figure out what length I needed too.

But they moved, so starting with a bike I built up in 2013, I had to do the measurements, buy spokes on line, etc.

They were a bit hit and miss for quality a bit over a decade ago. I had foot surgery. I was saving up projects to do while off my feet, one project was building up a set of wheels for my folder. Bought the spokes from them ahead of time. While immobilized, I started to build the wheels and that is when I learned that their mechanic was not very careful at what he was doing, the threading on almost all the spokes was not good enough to thread nipples onto them. I was really angry at them for that. When I was semi-mobile later had to go to the store, on crutches, to get them to do it right.

But, if you need parts for an old bike, I would still highly recommend them as they might have them.