Old 03-07-08, 05:30 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Racing in the rain thread

(This first bit refers to heat rub) Atomic Balm is used by a lot of football teams etc. A large sporting goods store catering to such crowds might have it in stock. It's made by Cramer. Or Kramer. One of the two.

I find that if I'm racing in rain, I do one of two things.

One - If I'm weaker than the others then I follow and try not to fall. I'm pretty sure that I've fallen almost every single time I've raced "seriously" in the rain, i.e. I was in contention. I don't remember falling on my own but I've run into sliding riders and crashed due to that, or at least had to stop or get a wheel change or something. I'm too scared to go bombing though a turn and taking myself out. Literally too chicken. I did it a few times and now I simply can't.

Two - If I'm stronger then I lead and slow for turns. Since I'm in front, slowing for turns isn't a problem because the accordion effect works in my favor. I've fallen frequently even using this tactic because there are the inevitable bombers who come bombing into the turn at full speed, their brakes don't work, and the knock over a whole lotta riders like bowling pins. I've gotten knocked over a few times while sitting in the top 5 of a 100 rider field.

I have a feeling that if you're good on the climb, you'll be in a position to do #2. If not, then you're going to have to take massive risks to descend back to the group.

Based on all this, I look at rainy crits as training races. Rainy road races, I've never fallen but it's because I get dropped. Plus around here there aren't that many switch back type descents.

Some other notes.

Rainy races prompt the strong riders to go hard early. You'll see a break or at least a huge splintering of the field. "Early" is relative - might be on a minor hill, when there's a significant cross wind, something where in dry weather the guys just go, "ah, wait till later". In the rain it seems that racers pounce on every opportunity to hurt the others.

I rarely drink in rainy races, and when I do, I prefer something with sugar in it. Wet weather saps your reserves but doesn't dehydrate you as quickly. I don't have an insulated bottle, don't know how much they weigh, but one with hot tea (sugar etc) might be worth a shot.

Tights get really, really heavy. Since you'll be soaked anyway, use knickers or even shorts. I want to experiment with plastic or rubber sheets or something since they won't get heavy (no absorption) but they'll keep wind off and retain something, maybe. I have yet to do my experiments so no word on this yet.

Gloves are a good idea but they also get soggy, loose, and slippery. Figure out if your gloves get slippery because slippery is not good.

If you find your gloves are slippery, pick one position on the bars and hold the bars there most of the time. You'll find the tape is semi-dry under your glove and you have better grip. As soon as you move your hands it gets slippery for a bit. If coming up on a climb, pick the hoods. If not, pick the drops.

I wear a clear rain jacket and duct tape my number to the outside. I leave it on the whole race. This is only if you know it'll rain all the time. 20% is not a high probability at all. Unzip if it stops raining.

I tape the tops of my booties shut - black duct tape. 50 degrees you may not need full booties, maybe an aero rubbery cover that doesn't absorb water but blocks wind. Always tape.

I put my whole shoe in a plastic bag, then the bootie on top (or whatever cover you have). You can clip in and out of the pedals several times before you compromise the integrity of the bag.
http://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.co...your-feet.html
Cannondale made some rain socks for a while. They resemble miniature garbage bags for your feet. They work too. I'm not clear whether they were meant to go inside or outside the shoe. I believe they were goretex (or at least they breathed).

RainX your glasses.

If you have a second bottle, leave water in it. Use it to rinse off your glasses. Cold, yeah, but you'll be able to see for the next minute or two.