JackJohn
WingsToWheels

Bikes: Italian, French, British

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
I had, many years back, a published booklet, which spec'd out al the different variations of Reynolds bike tubing. I no longer have it (can't find it...) - I have kept quite some extensive written articles on bikes from the 70's and early 80's, but can;t seem to find the Reynolds booklet. I can't give exact specs, but fairly certain about the 'Team' being different, there also was an overlap, when 753 was into'd , and you could get 'team' frames in both 531 & 753.
interesting, txs

Originally Posted by cyclezen
Team vs 'Record' (team) - the 'team record' is actually just a cosmetic remake of the 'Record' - 531 straight gauge main tubing, , regular dropouts with eyelets, and usually mid-level components, but it did have more 'race' geometry, it was a level below the Comp GS in the product line. Was a way for Raleigh to market a 'beginner racer' at a bit more premium than the std 'record'.
Ride On
Yuri
maybe in the US, but the “Record” frames were different beasts in Europe. The French Record/Team Record was second in line after the Professional. I have one and can confirm it is all Reynolds 531 and has butted tubes, 27.2 seatpost, Campagnolo dropouts and fork ends. And the target was not the beginning racer but the top level amateur competition. The only drawback was its equipment, a strange mix of different components just to keep price reasonable I suppose.