OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by JackJohn
interesting, txs
maybe in the US, but the “Record” frames were different beasts in Europe. The French Record/Team Record was second in line after the Professional. I have one and can confirm it is all Reynolds 531 and has butted tubes, 27.2 seatpost, Campagnolo dropouts and fork ends. And the target was not the beginning racer but the top level amateur competition. The only drawback was its equipment, a strange mix of different components just to keep price reasonable I suppose.
maybe...
I helped part-time, at a Raleigh dealer (riding friend) for a summer, back in 79. He sold a bunch of Records, and they all were mostly the same livery. Frame was straight 531, with dropout eyelets, and no braze-ons like BB cable guides. Nice bike for a general purpose ride.
I would check to see what the 'Record' was in the UK, and expect most other markets would also follow suit.
did a quick google, because mixed product lines, from large manufacturers, would have been very unusual, even though the US market was in it's bike boom. There were some bikes which came through with varying components, which was expected given changing availability of parts during those hey-day times. Richard, the bike shop owner, was happy to get anything, regardless of parts... I know quite a few were received with Normandy hubs - which, of course, were French threaded Hubs...
'found' this resale of a Record -Team paint, in europe...
It would be very interesting to see a 'Record' which is at the level of the top of Line Frames. - maybe I'll look/google for some Raleigh info for the UK...
Ride on
Yuri
EDIT: WOW! Quick Find, Raleigh in France 1978, was this where you found your reference?
https://thevintagetoyadvertiser.org/...talogue-1970s/
and yes, the 'Record' was more upgraded in components in France, compared to what was in the US - mostly mid/beginning 'performance' level stuff, but he frame looks the same ... sewups and presta being a much more common livery in Europe. When I went to Europe in the mid/late 70's you could get some decent mid-grade training sewups for about $5 US - would buy a dozen and bring back to US - same tire which cost $15-$20 in US.
Anyway, I think having a frame in hand to review, would surely confirm the actual level of frame...
Ride On
Yuri

Last edited by cyclezen; 08-01-22 at 09:36 AM.