View Single Post
Old 05-11-21, 11:41 PM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2014 Cervelo R3, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8, 2021 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 70 Posts
I'm also a long-time roadie that just got into fat biking at the beginning of this year. Since my wife and I were originally going to spend much of our retirement time in the southwest over the winters, I never really considered the idea of purchasing a fat bike. Long story short, since the pandemic basically put a kibosh on our retirement plans, I became increasingly more interested in beating our Wisconsin winters by riding in the snow on many of our local off-road trails. When I first started looking for a bike, I was mostly concerned about purchasing an intermediate model that had decent components but, most importantly, it needed to be a good fit regardless of the brand. I finally ended up with a 2021 Salsa Mukluk Deore, and I've been very happy with it! As it turns out, I enjoyed this past winter far more than I have in many years. Even my wife decided to purchase a Salsa Beargrease after seeing how much fun I was having, and she's now hooked, too!

At any rate, while there aren't that many new bikes available at the moment, I do agree with prj71 that used fat bikes "aren't that hard to find" if you're patient while looking around enough. Wishing you the best in finding one!