View Single Post
Old 06-14-22, 03:37 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Originally Posted by Tango1
steelbikeguy I think its a combination of learning through YouTube etc and my line of work which is very data heavy. When I was a runner prior to tearing my PCL I was capturing every bit of data possible which I found really helpful in pushing myself - at one point I was running a 1 1/2 miles under 10 minutes at 200 lbs - not so much anymore!
I used to run, but that was 40 years ago. No sort of data available, other than the elapsed time. The best I ever did was 3 miles in 19 minutes, and I'd like to think that I was paying attention to how my body felt. To be in shape and running gracefully was a wonderful thing! The same applies to bike riding, imho. Maybe not for folks who are entering competitions, but as a person getting into the activity, this is the time to develop the basic skills and just *enjoy* it!

If possible, maybe find someone to ride with who can help with developing the skills? I had friends who taught me how to ride in pacelines, how to set up cleats on shoes (back when they were nailed on), how to do some maintenance, etc. Lots of little details that are easier to learn from a friend than from the web.

Steve in Peoria