View Single Post
Old 01-19-22, 02:10 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6927 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
From what I have heard, trained bike mechanics have a hard time at walmart because they don't want you to do a good job if it takes any more time. I think they are on piece wages too, so I'm not sure why they would care much about how long you take. I have assembled a walmart bike for a friend and it was not a good experience. It needed a lot more work than I was prepared to do. I didn't have a truing stand at the time, for example.

I have seen walmart suspension forks on backwards, so it doesn't really help. I think the cpsc should require the stems be on the right side, I really don't think it makes the boxes significantly smaller to be shipped with the fork backwards. Even if it did cost them a few pennies more in shipping, they have demonstrated they can't do it right.

My lbs is an outlier on how much they work over a new bike. It takes a couple of hours if everything goes right, which is not always the case. But customers don't get a bike with undiscovered problems. This is true even with $250 kids bikes. To compare with a walmart style assembly is a joke.
I recently had my shop order a set of wheels for my cheapie SS commuter bike…I’m sure they came from QBP, and the were not expensive. Before I picked them up, the shop’s best wheel builder checked them out for trueness and spoke tension…at no extra charge.

At Wal Mart, I suspect you’re lucky if they manage to put each wheel on the correct end of the bike.