View Single Post
Old 01-14-22, 02:08 PM
2flit
2Flit

Location: Orcas Washington and currently Circumnavigating in a Farrier F36 Trimaran

Bikes: 1968 Rene Herse Gentleman's Bike; 1974/5 Jim Merz Custom-built; 1984 Rodriquez tandem; 2012 Bilenky Tandem; 1967 Cinelli SC; 1984 Specialized Exp. 68cm; 1971 Holdsworth 63cm(my first bike ever and owned since new!); 1994 Bridgestone MB5; 86'Trek420

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Force
Cool bike and interesting thread. What kind of handlebars are those on the bike now? Thanks!

I've had enough porteur, northroad, and moustache bars on the shelf that I honestly don't recall, my best guess is that those are either an old Soma bend or most likely a heat treated bar that Nitto made because they are very wide. I have allot of spare parts around and 30 years of handlebar bend names start to become somewhat fungible in my brain. The bars were switched out because I wanted to attach the Nitto F-15 bag support that would have damaged the original porteur bars. The original Herse bars were the narrowest porteur bars that I've ever seen. Both bars are drilled for the cable housings that exit the MAFAC reverse brake levers. I enjoy the esthetics of the reverse levers and the choices that become available for the cable exit from inside the bars.

Original narrow porteur bars

New Bars (similar view)

Old Bar showing Cable exits as originally drilled

New Bars showing different cable exits allowing for hand positions on the more moustache-ey bend

Last edited by 2flit; 01-14-22 at 02:20 PM. Reason: add pictures
Likes For 2flit: