rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by IGH_Only
So I have been riding 8-10 miles for almost 3 weeks now, almost every day. I will be going to every other day primarily due to elbow pain issues, as well as thigh soreness. But I digress. In all honesty, there is nothing I enjoy all that much about it. I want to quit the first couple of miles almost every single time. Somehow, I've manage to always complete the predetermined route, usually with a bit of tiredness.

I thought I'd enjoy the scenery of streets and trails I've never seen before. Nope. I thought I enjoy getting out a lot more having been shuttered in during the pandemic. Not so much. And I genuinely hate with a passion every overpass and underpass that I have to go through. But even having said all that, I have a strong compulsion to keep going every single time and especially before the ride begins. I've never cut off a ride earlier than I planned. I feel forced to ride before the journey begins so it's certainly not a lack of motivation problem. Which is a bit unusual because knowing myself I could have easily given up for good after the first few days/a week.

I don't have any plans to quit any time soon. I'm not sure if I do it for the fitness. I think definitely to some extent. I don't think I do it just to play with the shiny new toy. So I guess all that is background for should I expect to get to a place where I like it more? Would a much better bike make it more enjoyable? I currently ride a 3 speed entry level bike. I think enjoy it for the most part but don't have a comparative basis.
After re-reading your thread and all the replies consider the following. If you really want to continue cycling for health reason do consider a different bike. 70 years ago a 3 speed was a great bike, but not now. I would say at least an 8 speed is needed. And as I suggested before, if your elbow is a chronic on going problem, yes indeed maybe consider a trike or a used trike. There is no pressure on your elbow at all. Further with a trike you can ride as slow or fast as you want to without unclipping. That means you can ride at ANY speed you want to.

But MOST important -----------ride YOUR ride. Find what makes you happy, and ride the places that you enjoy seeing. And lastly forget all the "real cyclist" advice about cadence, speed, endurance, and the special kit you need to wear, and all the other things they say a "real cyclist" must do. Yes--------ride how you like to ride.
Likes For rydabent: