Old 08-30-22, 05:17 PM
SirLeaflock

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Priority Classic Plus Gotham-Edition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by boneshaker78
Always a backup option. I was trying to get a feel for any cheap longtails pedal only frames floating around. There are very few and I may have to reluctantly build another grocery getter like you describe.
If you have most of the parts, or cheap access to them, I'd say you won't be disappointed buying a Big Dummy frame. Otherwise, I don't think you'll find a complete Big Dummy used for close to your budget. I'm a big fan of mine and if you think it's what you really won't, I'd suggest holding out until you can afford one. For reference, there is an old Yuba Mundo on craigslist in Madison, WI for $1299. I think the frame mounted bread basket would be great for groceries and I feel like I remember from my research that the Mundo is really solid. Whatever you get, if you have serious weight on the back, putting some of it in front helps the ride. If this is just for yourself and you won't be doing any kid hauling, past comments I've read suggest you'll be very pleased with the value of the Mongoose. If there's any chance this might become your primary bike, I say hold out for a Big Dummy, and I'd suggest a Large. I'm just under 6' and am on a medium frame with an uncut steer tube and long stem. It works, but a Large would have also. a quick google shows one in Portland for $1100, so maybe there is more hope than I thought.
FWIW, I can fit most of the groceries we need for a family of 6 for a week, plus a kid (potentially two) on the Big Dummy.

Last edited by SirLeaflock; 08-30-22 at 05:20 PM.
Likes For SirLeaflock: