Old 04-24-18, 08:07 AM
nayr497

Bikes: How'd I get this many?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good info on the tube size! And yeah, probably a good theory on tube size actually not mattering. If so, I'm just going to go with 18/25s in 60 mm and forget about tracking down and/or paying the extra for the bigger tubes. So frustrating when you need tubes for deep rims and you realize all you have, for some dumb reason are 36s or even 32s. I measure some horrible Kenda tubes I had in my parts bin last night. The fkcuers were 30 mm long!

I've had a rough few days, which is how is seems to happen. Numerous punctures, ripped of valves, ripped a valve off with a "helpful" bike station the city put up on the MUP (hose is, NOT KIDDING, like 1.5' long, makes using it horrible).

I measured my Continental Speed Ride 700x42s at 37.8 this morning. I measured by Clement LAS 700x33 at 32.9. I've been using the Clements to commute 5-6 days a week to my office on a cross bike with fenders, rack, panniers. The rear punctured last week, one of those where the tube is flat before you can touch the brakes. Tire was paper thin. They ride wonderfully, but I think loaded commuting on asphalt is not what they're meant to do. Or, I know it. I don't want to have to worry about flats at 8:00 in the morning. I only got 6 months out of the tire, don't think I've even done that to my CX race tires that I race/train on.

As awesome as the GravelKings sound, and even with the claims of durability and anti-puncture, I think I just need to accept that I'm commuting and ride dedicated commuter tires that will be heavier, but last longer, offer better protection, and be a good deal less expensive. Leaning towards something like the Continental Travel Contact, folding, in 37 mm, as I've read they too are more around 34/33 in real life.

Great info in this thread! Gotta say I'm also impressed with the lack of bickering and the solid numbers of tire size