View Single Post
Old 08-17-22, 08:10 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,183 Times in 1,330 Posts
After a number of years I finally bought a work stand. There are a few aspects that I would consider; ease of use including clamping and stability/stoutness.

I do not have a Park stand but my impression is that it is a tough durable stand that is quite stable.

I bought a Feedback Sports stand and for me it works well. I don’t think it is a tough/stable as a Park stand, but it is light and easy to setup and clamp/unclamp. For higher torque work; i.e. bottom brackets I use a wheel on the ground to add stability.

Personally I’d stay away from cheap stands. If a stand is a pain to use, it won’t be used except when necessary.

For example, I don’t need a stand to lube a chain, but it sets up so quickly that there is little lost time and it does make it easier. And it makes it nice to do a once over on the bike without going through a production.

John

Edit added: Clamping a top tube is considered a no-no. But I do it all the time since I can lightly dial in the pressure with the clamp. If I had to remove the seatpost and use a dummy post everytime, I would prop the bike against something and not use the stand except when absolutely necessary.

Last edited by 70sSanO; 08-17-22 at 08:18 AM.