Old 03-20-21, 09:44 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
I am a negative split guy for everything. The coaching I have had over several years emphasizes that it is the finish of an event that matters the most versus the start. And starting out too hard, assuming one is not dropped, is generally not a great strategy.

Whatever VO2 protocol I use, I start at the low end and try to raise it each interval or set. And what is also interesting about VO2 work is the 30 second carryover after the effort is stopped. So if one does 30/30 where the first 30 seconds is VO2, the carryover into the next 30 seconds or off extends the on effort. Hence, I do a lot of 30/30 as VO2 / threshold builder. And it works really well done on the velodrome just ride at the stayers line and dive into the pole lane for the 30 seconds on and return to the stayers line for the off segment such that it adds an execution element to the VO2 work.

I like to think that a coach is someone who can take me to a place I cannot take myself. So for those that self coach, do you have an alter ego where the alter ego calls BS on your BS? For me, I know that I am believing my own BS and cannot wait to start with my coach again and get up against some real competition.
Likes For Hermes: