View Single Post
Old 02-21-22, 10:03 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I’ve never ridden a fat bike…strictly a road cyclist…but just wondering how you all go about inflating flats mid-ride. I was on paved MUP yesterday and came upon a fat bike/rider who was pumping away with the smallest of hand pumps. I slowed as I approached him, and was going to offer the use of the 16g CO₂ cartridge I carry with me. But then figured that it wouldn’t touch the inflation of that completely flat tire. He’s probably still out there pumping. But I’m just curious…how many cartridges does it take to properly inflate those tires? Is there a hand pump that is efficient for them? I felt bad there was nothing I could do to assist him. I always offer assistance when I pass a stopped cyclist.

Dan
I thought everybody on a fatbike looked like this

https://www.singletracks.com/mtb-gea...r-co2-carrier/

Joking aside ... I have a Lenze frame pump on my fatbike and honestly, it's faster/easier to air up a fat bike tire than a road tire. Repeating other posts, the difference is pressure versus volume, getting a road tire up to 80 to 100 psi is takes more work than getting a fat tire up to 12 psi. Also a repeat ... I ride to/from winter single-track trails, I dump my tires down to 6-8 psi on the trails and use my frame pump to get them back up to 10-12 psi to ride home, it only takes a minute and makes the ride home much easier/quicker.
Likes For Hypno Toad: