Old 11-05-22, 06:24 PM
cinelliguy 

Bikes: 57 ExpressWerke, 58 CinelliB, 62 CinelliB Altenberger, 70 Cinelli SC, 76 Masi, 77 Colin Laing, 78 Ritchey, 80 Jack Taylor, 82 Appel, 82 Davidson, 85 Ironman, 92? Andy Gilmour, 04 Peter Johnson, 91 Ed Litton, 11 Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
LocTite bottles/tubes are all red. It's what's inside that varies in color, and the label says if it is "Blue 242" or "Red 271." My exhaustive interwebs research (about ten seconds worth) says the red LocTite requires heating to 500* F. to undo the bond, while blue LocTite only requires a wrench and some grunting. I can vouch for the claim regarding blue. I cannot verify the claim regarding red, but it is line with what I have heard before from sources long since forgotten.
I think that is correct. Love the idea of SuperGlue also! Maybe we are confusing Loctite with Permatex brands? See images. I use Red Permatex for securing the flywheel screw pins I install to lock the ring gear to the flywheels I make (gsracingclutches.com). Blue for everything else. The bottom bracket should, in my opinion for my bike anyway, have had the Blue version of either brand, that being of medium strength.

Likes For cinelliguy: