View Single Post
Old 10-21-19, 08:50 AM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Ramp to ride up steps ?

We are planning to build a ramp along the side of some steps to ride bikes up/down. The elevation difference between the two walkways is 18” (45cm) or three 6” steps so should be manageable to ride for most people. I could not find anything on this in the CROW manual.

The total width between two short stub walls where the steps will be is 6’ (1.8m). We’re thinking the ramp will be 20” wide (0.5m) along one side of the steps. This should allow enough width to comfortably ride a bicycle up/down and carefully ride a bakfiets up/down?

I assume that it’d be best for the ramp to be along the top edges of the steps (solid red line) rather than below (dashed red line)? Any thoughts if the ramp is slightly lower than the solid red line and the edges of the steps chamfered a bit?Does anyone know what slope the ramp can be for a bakfiets to clear? I believe the current steps are 6/10 (6” rise / 10” run) which I believe is about 30° slope IIRC. That seems too steep for a bakfiets to clear the top edge?Other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Image is not to scale.