View Single Post
Old 05-03-22, 08:17 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex
Yes, it is knowable..... somewhere! Apparently there was a blog post somewhere that had all the info in one place but it's gone now. I found the info I needed in various places and I could swear I wrote it all down somewhere, but now....

A 650B wheel will most definitely fit a frame made for 700c, as the 650B is a smaller diameter. The question is how much extra clearance for wide tires will it give you, and is it enough to be worth it. And what will you need to do as far as brakes. It gets a little more complicated as the width of tire you run will determine where exactly the widest point will be, as well as your overall diameter.

I've got to run now, but I'll see if I can find the numbers..... But I believe I determined that with 650B x 42 tires the widest point was about 303mm from the center of the wheel..... And I think the outer edge of 700c wheel is more or less where the widest point with a 650bx42 tire will be....
Ed Braley's 650Blog has disappeared, but it lives on in the Wayback Machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20210411...sion-guidlines
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott: