View Single Post
Old 05-20-22, 08:46 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts

I'm really, really loving this bike- comfortable and just downright fun to ride. I've enjoyed getting reacquainted with friction shifting and 1/2-step+granny gearing. Initially I just used some generic brake cable housing for the short bits at the ends of the derailleur cable runs as (I thought....) is was all I had on hand. But I found some leftover lined derailleur cable housing in a bin and swapped it out the other day. I wasn't really expecting much, but I'm kind of surprised at the noticeable improvement in the feel of the shifters. I've got some Retrofrictions on the way and can't wait to get those on. Some nicer SPD pedals on the way, too. I've been caught out in downpours a couple times and have realized the necessity of mud-flaps, at least on the front fender. The Brooks Pro that was original to the bike was OK, but the B17 that was on my Cannondale is more comfortable so I made the swap. I may go back the the Pro and see if it (or my rear end...) won't break in a little more. I wish the frame were just a little bigger. I've got the seatpost and stem pretty much at their max, but it fits and feels good. Other than some adjusting after the first couple rides I haven't really felt the need to move anything- unlike my Cannondale which I seem to constantly make little tweaks to.
Absolutely no regrets about the 650b conversion, or the time, $, sweat and occasional episodes of frustration with the rehab/build!

Last edited by ehcoplex; 05-20-22 at 08:51 AM.