View Single Post
Old 09-23-23, 02:09 AM
oldiron

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Been reading here for years, only just signed up for an account.
I'm half a year from turning 60, 6ft 3in tall, and around 350 lbs.
I've ridden and worked on bikes most of my life, even worked in a bike shop for a bit in the late 70's and early 80's.
I've got a garage full of bikes, ranging from prewar cruisers, to 70's road bikes.
As I age, and arthritis becomes evident I ride less than I used to but still enjoy a few short rides from time to time so long as I don't have to work the next day.
Riding causes severe knee and ankle pain, which is something I ignored when I was younger, (and lighter). In my prime was around 240 lbs or so.

As a big guy I'm hard on certain parts, mostly cranks and tires. I've broken or bent more cranks than I can count over the years and as time went on I tended to opt for
bikes that were built more like a truck.

My go-to bike lately is an 80's Nishiki Cruiser, pretty much all original as far as I know. I've owned it for a while now and have kept it because of its tall frame.
I still have my 77 Raleigh Super Course, which I've had since new, and a '78 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, which I also bought new. Both in tall frames. I haven't ridden either of them in a few years. I find riding road bars causes my hands and arms to fall asleep for some reason.
Likes For oldiron: