View Single Post
Old 09-26-22, 10:27 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4941 Post(s)
Liked 8,081 Times in 3,822 Posts
Last Monday, on the night before my daughter and I headed out for the drive to the University of Oregon, we discussed bringing the townie bike I had spent the last couple of weeks putting together for her. The word from a friend was that bike theft crime in Eugene is very high (not unusual at colleges). Despite having a good u-lock + cable, and her dorm having a locked bike cage, my daughter made the decision to leave the bike home until she got a sense of how safe it would be. This turned out to be an excellent decision. On the first night at the dorm, the bike cage was broken into, and most of the bikes stolen. During our unloading process, I saw quite a few bikes being checked-in, including a couple that were pretty decent (a Spec MTB, most notably). I have no doubt that the local bike thieves were waiting to pounce well ahead of time.