View Single Post
Old 11-19-22, 02:29 PM
j13ag

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Spoke wrench recommendations ?

These days I'm doing a lot of recovery work on some old wheels. That means that encountering frozen nipples is common and I'm looking for tools that can handle the job better then the Park Tool SW-1 (spoke wrench) I've got. Too many of those nipples are getting rounded off by the tool despite liberal use of a variety of penetrants. I end up having to replace nipples and sometimes both nipples and spokes. Getting those damaged nipples off with vice grips can be done but is a PITA.

I think that what I need is a 3-sided or 4 sided spoke wrench that is designed for the 3.30 mm nipples that I'm finding on a lot of these wheels. The hope is that this kind of wrench will not damage nipples as often.

For smaller (3.23 mm) nipples, I've got a P&K Lie wrench which works very well and for larger ones (3.45 mm) I've picked up a Park Tool SW-42 which looks like it will be good. The Unior 16302p which purports to be designed for 3.30 mm nipples doesn't seem to fit them (?).

Can you recommend a 3 or 4 sided spoke wrench that is designed for 3.30 mm nipples ?

Park Tool used to make something called SW-10, which had a clamping mechanism. Is there anything like that available now ?

Thanks for your help.

-jg-