View Single Post
Old 05-10-23, 10:46 PM
joewein

Bikes: Elephant Bikes National Forest Explorer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 82 Posts
Here is my late report for the March "CaM", written a couple of days after the 2023-03-12 ride:

On Sunday I rode my March century, or I should say my first March century as I'll have a 200 km Brevet the weekend after next and this was training for that.

Four weeks after my previous Century ride I joined a TRP group ride to Yabitsu with @microcord starting from Takao station at 08:00. I left home at 05:30.

As soon as the road turned uphill I could tell it was going to be hard to keep up. Several times the rest of the group waited for me at a hill or traffic light. After an hour I announced I would continue on my own.

Getting the bike over the gates at the entry and exit of Karazawa rindo on my own was challenging but I managed. The climb was hard but Izu will be even hillier, I needed the exercise.

I rode in shorts and short sleeve jersey most of the day, but added and removed my rain gear as needed where it was too cold (e.g. Yabitsu descent).

The 7-11 in Hadano was a little after the halfway point, I still needed 70 km from there. So I headed to Hiratsuka (no hills on the way) then up to Ebina and back to Setagaya broadly following 246.

I have many times strictly stuck to 246 except wherever it's clearly illegal for cyclists but it can be quite hairy in a few places, like one underground section and another on an overpass where a lane splits off to the left. This time I let myself be guided by Google Maps which suggested a less hardcore route - more elevation but fewer speeding trucks. Thanks to this choice I passed Rusi Indo Biryani in Tokaichiba where I stopped for a nice dinner.

Another hour later and I got back to Setagaya. I did some grocery shopping before arriving home with 169 km (on Strava). That makes it 127 consecutive months with at least one 160.9 km ride per calendar month.
Likes For joewein: