View Single Post
Old 12-27-23, 08:57 PM
joewein

Bikes: Elephant Bikes National Forest Explorer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 82 Posts

I had intended to ride my October Century on the first day of the month but changed my mind because of the weather forecast. The following weekend I spent with my family in Karuizawa for my daughter's wedding. The Wednesday after the wedding my wife I headed to Haneda for a one week trip to Umbria, Italy. We got back on a Friday just before midnight. Saturday I spent recovering before finally riding 162 km on Sunday (on Strava).

I started late, leaving only a little before 09:00 in the morning. I headed out towards Machida on Onekan. There seems to be some road construction going on. Passing Machida Risu Koen (Machida Squirrel Park), a pet zoo for small children, I aimed for Sakaigawa, the river down to the coast at Enoshima.

South of Icho Danchi (Icho apartment complex) I met a rider on a vintage randonneur bike. We stopped to admire each other's bikes. He has been riding his for 45 years and it's in mint condition. The front and rear derailleur are not original but from the era and the current paint job is the third one. The bike was sparkling clean.

I don't often ride the Sakaigawa route and was amazed how many cyclists there were. I followed it to the mouth of the river in Enoshima.

By then I got hungry and searched for some a Nepalese, which I found at Danfe, two kilometers away. It was tiny and very busy so I could only get a takeout curry. They seem very popular.

The main road to Kamakura was one traffic jam, as usual on a Sunday afternoon.

There were lots of windsurfers out at Zushi.

I continued down the coast to past Hayama with a few photo stops and one convenience store stop.

After the sunset pictures I turned around towards Kamakura.

I followed the main road towards the Hachimangu shrine, then up the mountain over to the Yokosuka side up towards Yokohama.

I took some pictures around the Minato Mirai area but progress towards Tokyo was slow.

It was just one red light after another. I was still riding in shorts and my long sleeve summer jersey but that was OK, it wasn't too cold.

After crossing the Tamagawa river on Route 15 I took Route 311 (Kannana) to Setagaya. When I got near home I was still a couple of km short of my distance so I did a few loops of Bajikoen (the Horse Park).

It was exactly midnight when I opened my front door.