Old 08-06-21, 10:43 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
...on the bike?

Jason Giambi was a slugger with the New York Yankees. During his peak, he was an incredibly formidable foe. During an interview one time, he described the way he sometimes felt when he stepped into the batters box as "sexy."

That resonated with me immediately. I experience it sometimes when cycling. I suppose most people probably call it "in the zone." Despite getting what Giambi meant, and thinking about it often over the years, it can be hard to describe. I felt sexy yesterday on my ride.

It has an element of enhanced performance. An element of confidence, like you "own the place." An element of the reward being greater than the effort expended. It's a very psychologically aware and alert state.

Help me out here. If you know what I am talking about, what do you call it, and how do you describe it?

EDIT: After reading a few responses, it looks like I should mention that when Giambi said he felt sexy, it was not about his appearance.

Did you have figjam on your toast this morning?

On a serious note, are you an adult onset athlete? If you been competing in sports, you know those moments come and go. You have good days and bad days. Good days when you still lose and bad days when you win. Days where you can't miss a shot or ones when you can't make one. And so on and so on. The main thing is to act like you been there/done it before. Otherwise, people will know you haven't.

There is a class instructor at my gym that refers to sweating as "sexy." When the class ends she says everyone has "the glisten."

Last edited by seypat; 08-06-21 at 10:50 AM.