View Single Post
Old 04-25-22, 08:55 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
E Ink for Maps and or Cue Sheets?

I have a couple old Kindle 3s that had been unused for a while. The batteries had kind of given out, but realized that with some fiddling they were pretty easily patched to the latest upgrade level and refreshed with new batteries. There is a hack that I used inthe past that makes the kindle stay on the page you are on when it sleeps rather than go to a "screen saver" page. Since it is the page change that uses battery it can keep the map on the page forever with no battery drain until you need to change maps. As a result the battery would last a very long time if only using for your maps and navigating your route since there wouldn't be all that many page changes. Since I put in a new battery, I am guessing a charge will last for months of touring.

It is a pretty nice monochrome display and old kindles can be had for a song. You can use it for its original purpose as an ebook reader too.

The hack that keeps the map displayed is pretty easy on my Kindle 3 and involved typing two short commands into the search field. One to enter debug mode and one to disable the screensaver. Going back to normal mode is just the opposite. Not sure about other models, but it works for my kindle 3 keyboard model. A quick search for "turning off screen saver mode on kindle" should provide some info for various models. I think many of them you just type ~ds.

For mine it was:
How to disable Amazon Kindle3 Keyboard screensaver
  1. Press Home button.
  2. Press Del button. This will bring up the search box.
  3. Type ;debugOn and press Enter.
  4. Type ~disableScreensaver and press Enter.
  5. Type ;debugOff and press Enter.
To turn it back on:
  1. Press Home button.
  2. Press Del button. This will bring up the search box.
  3. Type ;debugOn and press Enter.
  4. Type ~resumeScreensaver and press Enter.
  5. Type ;debugOff and press Enter.

Last edited by staehpj1; 04-25-22 at 09:00 AM.