View Single Post
Old 04-26-22, 05:08 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
The idea is, I think, to create a simplified map (topological, i.e. something like transit maps, showing points on route, but not at scale and not correlated with actual lat/long). Like a glorified cue sheet.

I'll eventually show what I have in mind, (when I can find the time....)
That sounds like a good way to go.

I think they could be at scale if the pages were small enough bites of the whole map. I could also see using something pretty close to the ACA maps and cue sheets possibly even as is. The biggest problem with them is they were designed to be read in color. The ACA panels would be fine if the topo or other background were removed or simplified. I could envision having the pages alternate between the map panel and the cue sheet so you could flip a page to get the one you want. Unfortunately getting really easily readable images from the paper maps is probably pretty difficult or impossible, so they'd most likely need to be generated using an app and the gpx files. I may try scanning some just to see how good/bad they are.

The thing is that before I'd go to the trouble of generating the panels for a long trip I am likely to just use the app. The thing that might still tempt me to use the kindle is the battery issue. I figure I could go coast to coast and never charge the kindle using it just for maps. If I chose to I could turn off my phone and only turn it on for a few minutes every couple days to text or email home or to get local directions. That or even decide to go off grid and leave it home. That would be a novelty in this day and age. I probably wouldn't actually do that, but...

Please do share a sample when you do generate a map.