View Single Post
Old 05-14-22, 04:35 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
All of this sounds great to get a map on the screen. Not sure how workable it would be for a trip with dozens of paper map pages. It seems like that might be unworkable or at least tedious. Am I missing something or are we talking about making a book file for every map panel and changing books to change map panels. A long trip would have quite a few book files. The Trans America has what 12 map sheets with about a dozen map panels on each? The narrative text directions and other info for each section could be included in each book on the pages, but I don't see myself creating all those books. Navigating book to book may not be too bad if the title names are obvious in their order.

I am asuming regular maps which require plenty of panels to cover a long trip. Gauvin's simplified maps might be one solution, but to be honest, I am not sure they scratch my itch for the feedback of a map. Also I think they would work really well as a sheet of physical paper with less benefit to bothering with a screen. I could see myself using them along with the local maps as a general overview. Since my travel tends to be in the US that would likely be the free US state maps.

Edit: I should have followed up and mentioned that it seems like the battery is holding up better in usage with the screensaver hack turned off (back in default setup). This is true even compared to when I turned the kindle off with a hard shutdown when not in use. I did not do real testing with close controls on usage, but just used it for a usage where I don't turn pages much for an hour or so per day. The results are just my impression of how the battery seemed to be holding up, but I am pretty sure I am not misinterpreting it. So the hack is pretty useless IMO. I have kind of given up on using my current kindle for navigation. Future models may or may not be worth another look.

Last edited by staehpj1; 05-14-22 at 06:29 AM.