Old 04-27-19, 04:45 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Do you wear something on your head, under your helmet?
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Years ago when I started riding, I wore a painters hat underneath my helmet. I took some ridicule from the people I was riding with, but I didn't care. The hat did some sweat management, and if a bee/bug flew in to the air vents of my helmet, I felt protected from stings.

Now that riding has EXPLODED in popularity, I am seeing more and more people - mainly men - wearing painter hats. Seems like the hats have gone from fringe to trendy. Some people I know wear head sweats or something like that too.

So I figured why not see what the rest of the Bike Forums crew are up to in the headgear dept. Cheers.
Originally Posted by deepakvrao
Halo headband in heat, and a cycling cap when cold.
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I always wear a Pace skull cap. Clean one every ride. I find my helmet stays clean and without smell far longer and my hair feels better/cleaner. A plus for sweat on hot days, a little warmer on cool days.

In winter, I wear them under my winter hats and those winter hats stay clean and fresh smelling
Originally Posted by Machka
In warmer weather ... just my hair!
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I have short hair, but long enough to be parted, and to suffer from helmet hair. I too wear a cap… and also I use a water soluble hair gel (J. Crew Firm Hold).

After a ride, my hair brushes out pretty well, without ridges, and helmet hair would be otherwise duly noted.
More specifically, in order outward from my hair, and depending on the weather:

• Halo headband skull cap
  • Balaclava and woolen ski cap (in the cold, less than about 40ᶛ and 50ᶛF respectively)
  • A loose-fitting, paper surgical-scrub type cap (in the cold at less than about 35ᶛ F with a stapled strip of Velcro to hold up my safety goggles (link)
  • A billed baseball cap in rain, for the wide visor
  • A billed sun visor in sunny weather

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-27-19 at 08:13 AM. Reason: added quote by 79pmooney