Old 01-19-21, 08:17 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 788 Posts
Originally Posted by capt_velo

Up for sale from Gears for the Gospel is a 1964 Gitane. Reynolds 531 tubing. I was not able to nail down a specific model based on the incorrect nature of their vintage catalogs. However, with the Reynolds 531 and Campagnolo dropouts, it is a nice bike! Price reflects the vintage parts in the good condition that they are in, as well as the frame and the patina that it has. 57x57cm.

All campy except- Mafac Tiger brakes, Pivo stem?, Brooks saddle, unknown (need to check) wheels and hubs. New chain. New cables.

The good- totally gone through. Bearings cleaned and lubricated with fresh grease. Frame totally degreased and cleaned. Chrome polished. I did not get too crazy as the original paint is so cool. I didn’t want to damage it. Campy kit (crankset, derailleurs, cable stop hardware, shifters, seat post) are all in great shape! No dents in tubes. Nothing more than surface rust. I would feel totally confident riding this.
Newly glued tires. New bar tape.

The “bad”- let’s be honest, the bike is OLD. I hope someone buys it that will appreciate the pedigree and class. If someone wants to repaint it, more power to them. I don’t have the heart to mess it up. Mild pitting and or rust on chrome. Spokes had rust that I removed. They’re not perfectly shiny, but strong and the nipples all turned fine. Campy cranks are threaded for 9/16 20f (aka Italian). Yes, you can force modern 9/16 pedals. No, I don’t recommend it. Yes, you can locate vintage pedals of this threading. Yes, you can easily re-tap to modern 9/16. So your options are open. I don’t have any suitable pedals to test ride though, unfortunately.
The just DO NOT make hoods for Mafac anymore. This bike had half hoods in dry, cracked shape. I will include them if you desire. I fashioned these with some Cane Creek hoods and black silicone. Looks great!
Brooks saddle is a bit dry.

The best- ALL proceeds benefit OurCalling ministry to the homeless right here in North Texas. I accept bicycle donations and restore them in my hobby time and it is an act of service for me for a ministry I believe in.

Any questions or details I left out, let me know!

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/bi...264257167.html
This is highly interesting, if it's legit you don't see many (or any) Gitanes that old that are full-Campy (except brakes) models. Would wonder what one of our Gitane experts like Chas might observe about this one? paging verktyg