Old 05-05-21, 12:28 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Best riding carbon bike - C64, Aethos, R5... what else?

Presumably, at some point this year, i am going to get a crash replacement Venge from Specialized. But now i got ants in my pants about my second frame - it is currently a Factor LS, which is a very balanced ride and does everything well, but isnt the most exciting of rides: i do miss the amazing ride quality of the R5 (which i now regret selling). And since i was ill last month (not Covid) and seem to have lost about 30W of FTP, i think a new bike is exactly what the doctor ordered.

So i was thinking of replacing the Factor with a different frame - not gonna race it (that's what the Venge is for), but use it for group ride, riding weekends with friends, etc. So here, more than aero, i want a bike that is going to put a big smile on my face in terms of BB stiffness and acceleration. To be specific, I want a bike that lunges forward the moment you drope the hamar, without any apparent flex in the BB. Ability to take tires up to 30-32c is also a plus.

Some candidates:
- Another R5 is an option, but the new one may not launch till 2022
- Aethos gets really good reviews, but i already have 2 Speshs (the Venge and a Shiv).
- Colnago C64 - this is on my list: amazing history, everyone who rides it seems to love it, but i wonder to what degree that is confirmation bias. Still, this is my leading candidate, but would love to get opinions from others.

Not considering Scott (they dont do much for me), Trek (see Scott), Factor (dont have anything that sings to me). Also no steel and no titanium.

Anyone have any other suggestions?