cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by stormy_ll
Hello, I have tried moving down the saddle height a little to be more like what I think would be a “normal saddle height” to the people who have stated my saddle looks a bit high. I went for a quick spin today (about 20 miles) and experienced quad soreness after coming back - this is not something I think I have ever experienced.
Should I stick with it considering there has been a change to the saddle height? Throughout the ride I moved it around 7mm lower than where it was before. It is worrying me a bit that I am starting to have new pains as I am planning to join a 100m ride in early sept. Could it make sense that compensation from my lower leg had reduced the need for quad strengthening in the past?
This has been accompanied with keeping the 100mm stem and moving the cleats back about 2mm.
Thanks a lot
Not surprised. That's a significant change in saddle position. It not only affects the leg extension (height), but also moves you/your pelvic area/hips forward some.
This does change how and when muscle group engagement happens. If it's different enough, it will affect how your muscles react.
Your pics are NOT definitive on your leg extension, 2 vary greatly when cranks are full vertical, one doesn't even apply. SO I wouldn;t even guess on whether a change might be a plus.
Some riders like a 'lower' extension, so do great a little higher... How you do, none of us can know.
IF you haven't had any issues before, especially as relates to what your longer distance riding performance has been, why screw with it now?
Your legs might adapt to the new position, in a month, and they might not... If you believe your old position would get you through the upcoming 100 (miles?) ... make a change now?
You could - massage your quads and get the soreness out, then raise the saddle 1/2 up (3-4 mm) and try again...See how that feels...
or you can go back to your original height, get thru your planned ride and then some time in the future, make smaller adjustments and ride for a longer period before making other/additional changes.
I usually recommend changes no more than 3 -4 mm on saddle moves, height and setback. Big changes for riders who ride regularly/often can prove problematic.
Unless you're gaining something or fixing something, why make a change ?
As for us Online Bike Philosophers, we earn what we get paid... LOL!
Ride On
Yuri

Last edited by cyclezen; 07-31-22 at 04:14 PM.