Old 10-24-22, 06:26 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by BikingViking793
I've searched but haven't quite found an answer. I have tubeless road tires on my Surly. I set it up in the late Spring. Now my bike will be sitting till the weather warms up again so it will be a few months. Should I just add sealant in the Spring and ride? Should I remove the tires and clean some of the old sealant out over the winter then redo in the spring? Not sure what people do that have to deal with cold winter months. I would imagine there is a limit to the number of times you want to just add sealant.
There is only one true way to know; inspect it visually. If it's dried up or the color has changed, replace it.

And yes, you can't really mix fresh and old sealant indefinitively. 1) The weight weenies here will crucify you! and 2) sealant won't be as efficient as it should at some point.

I unmount and clean my tires/rims before every winter (my bikes are stored) so I always start with a fresh setup when spring arrives. I don't inspect anything over the summer simply because I don't ride enough to worry about sealant drying up. I just add 1oz of sealant in each wheel halfway through the season.

I've been using muc-off for the last 2 years and it's still looking good after 6ish months of usage when I remove my tires.

Last edited by eduskator; 10-24-22 at 06:31 AM.