Old 07-09-22, 06:08 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
I am a vintage bike enthusiast and have owned only one new bike in the past twenty years, a full suspension mountain bike. It was, by the way, great. That said, I do not, necessarily, buy into the old is better than the new.

I find the movie author to be too biased. Many of his arguments do hold water but vintage bikes are not, in my opinion, better than not vintage bikes. That said, many will argue that my 2000 Marinoni falls into the vintage category. If so, fair enough but it is a heck of a lot newer than my other bikes.

If I am looking for the best riding bike in my little collection, this 2000 Marinoni is, absolutely, the most comfortable bike that I own. In my experience and opinion with its Brifter transmission, ergonomic saddle, ergonomic handlebar, SPD pedals, wide gear range, solid side pull brakes, comfortable saddle and lightness, wins hands down...

over this vintage Torpado...

or this vintage Legnano...

The Marinoni is easier to use. Safer to use, Faster than anything else in my collection. And, personally, I am a fan of the aesthetics. All that said, I cannot comment on a new bike's virtues. The author is right, I cannot afford one but I am not so sure that a new bike will not be around, and thought to be vintage, twenty years from today.
I like quality steel and CF bikes.
I like mechanical and also wonder what the lifespan will be for the electronics now added to the modern bike.
One example is the power meters that are integrated onto cranksets as I got a nice used CF crankset cheap because the PM failed and could not be replaced or fixed.