Old 10-21-22, 06:35 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
The ride quality will improve in one area, feel but diminish in another area, comfort. Why?

The heavier the wheel rim tire and inner tube, the more clumsy the feel. Prove this to your self. Pick up a wheel and, holding the axle ends, tip the wheel from side to side. There will be little or even no resistance. Now, spin the wheel and, still holding the axle ends, repeat the tipping exercise. You will immediately feel the resistance thanks to the gyro effect imparted by the spin factor. With this in mind, when the bicycle with the narrower rim will seem to be and will also, marginally, be more responsive and feel lighter.

As for the comfort factor, a narrower rim will, probably be fitted with a smaller tire, reducing the cushion effect, thus negatively impact the comfort factor.

Was this original issue from the bike maker? I really do not know but I do know that in all the bikes that have come my way, I have never seen a bike issued with different width rims (at least none that come to mind).

Hope that is a help.