View Single Post
Old 12-25-22, 02:20 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
And speaking of berries, specifically of my love, blueberries - I'm loving the trend. Seeing fresh blueberries in large quantities in every supermarket. And many of those bluebs are good tasting. I grew up surrounded by wild blueberries, both high bush and low bush. The high bush yielded far more but some of the low bush (there were several varieties) had berries that were to die for. Sadly, the trees had grown up and shaded those low bushes so much that hours of seeking would get me maybe a tiny handful. Yes there were blueberries in stores but they were of varieties that simply didn't taste good or were picked too soon. Now I can plunk down a fiver and have more berries in that box than used to come off our biggest high bush and often those berries are quite good. Some of the farmers market best are very good.

Only once growing up did I get to eat enough blueberries to see a difference in how I felt. (The current "super food".) That once? They made me quite sick! When I was 10. Picking and immediately eating them as I worked my way up a New Hampshire hill recently burned over to renew the blueberries. Ate so many I barely made it to the top! (And the sad note. I had to be in my brother's wedding party on that hill witnessing their marriage in full summer on another perfect blueberry year and not be able to eat those wonderful berries all around me. Reception after was far away.)

Now I eat those bluebs in moderation, a healthy little pile with my breakfast most morning. With yogurt and granola after bike rides. Good stuff. And my love continues.