Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Porteño
But what about those of us riding to work, or who have to go to work meetings (or in my case - I am a journalist- do interviews)? It is one thing to ride in civilian clothes and get a bit sweaty, nothing an inconspicuous spare shirt rolled into my bag and one minute in any toilet cannot handle, but arriving in a soaking, muddy, sweaty mess in conditions nothing short of a full bath and new change of clothes will repair is just not an option on a working day... Weekend/fitness rides are a different beast, sure, but I still haven't found clothes I can ride in on a rainy day that still make me look some kind of business casual without 15 minutes in a changing room.

Plus, I don't know about where you live, but biking in a busy, bike-unfriendly city in the rain (Buenos Aires, Argentina, in my case) can get pretty unsafe: most of my close calls with cars have been on rainy days, when they ride more dangerously, the traffic is heavier and my handling/braking on the bike is affected by more slippery streets, puddles and the like. I do most of my riding in busy/downtown areas without bike lanes, which only makes matters worse.

I don't own a car and hate buses/subways, but in those days I suck it up and ride public transport...

If you don't have a changing room, that is a problem. No need to shower, just change clothes and use a small towel. But you doo need a changing room and a place to let the clothes dry.