bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bruzer
Wear and tear alone is not enough to keep me from riding in the rain, but I would be lying if it did not influence my thought process. Higher wear and tear on parts is something you will have to deal with when riding in the rain and should be discussed as well as clothing.

I also agree that wear and tear in the winter is far more severe than during nice weather. However, it's still a lot less expensive than driving a car. And very regular maintenance & cleaning can lengthen the life of many components. In winter, I clean my rims and drive train about once a week. I still have to replace my rims every 18-24 months, get a new cassette every 24 months, a new chain every 6-12 months, and new brake pads every 3-4 months, but if I didn't do the weekly cleaning it would be even more often. I consider this a small price to pay in exchange for the benefits that a mostly car-free life provides, along with the greater feeling of control that comes with managing a much simpler, more elegant machine.