Thread: Saddle Test!
View Single Post
Old 11-17-21, 05:24 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
12 years on a bent and coming back to an upright is a huge change. I have been on a recumbent for 4 years and did PBP 2019 on one. I have been on an upright since June but no really long rides. On saddles that I know work for me, the tissue over the ischial tuberosity sit bones gets generally sore. I can't guess how many hours or miles that it will take before my butt can cash the checks my legs are writing, but I have been trying to follow rule #5.

I poo poo'd leather saddles for a long time. I came to appreciate them. The pressure on the ischial tuberosity sit bones is more dispersed over a wider area, once it is molded to your particular butt shape. On other saddles, these sit bones got sore. I never had perineum issues but the boys can get in the way and just becomes uncomfortable. I pony'd up for two pairs of the Assos bibs with the kuku penthouse, it simultaneously keeps them out of the way but provides like a comfortable nest. Sorry if too graphic, trying to keep it clean. I don't lube for rides under 300k unless it is raining, then, I have found lantiseptic to last the longest and more importantly, it provides a barrier that "germs" and crap won't breach. The only brevet that I quit was on a recumbent.

On my bent in heavy rain, I would get nasty in the perineum due to puddles of water on the seat, solved with drilling holes and more generous lantiseptic.

Saddles are so weird. I have a beautiful white leather saddle with center cut. It drives me crazy, it feels like each cheek is on a separate hammock.

I am building up an upright bike that I hope to be able to do brevets on and need a new saddle. The saddle to bar drop is too much for the B17 on that bike. I probably won't be able to ride it and will end up inside a velomobile. But, I look forward to your impressions!!
Likes For GhostRider62: