View Single Post
Old 01-17-22, 08:45 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by M.Lou.B

Someone said that replacing the crankset with modern, much lighter parts is impossible because technologies have changed. I have seen blog posts of people who have done it somehow, though, so now I am looking for information on this, as well as some advice on how to modernize my gem while maintaining his wonderful hybrid qualities. I would love to eventually swap the drive-train for something lighter, potentially similar to te 3x8 setup the bike came with (Shimano Nexave).

Please help us out if you can - I'm grateful for any advice!

Sincerely, M.Lou
Crankset and BB is one spot I would go depending on the riding you're doing. Typically it came with a heavy triple, I'd replace that with a lightweight double or even 1x. The crank is easily replaceable as the bottom bracket is an english threaded. A decent 2 piece crank will work well and you can find some lighter ones on sale. If it says BB30, PF30, or some other press fit it might not be adaptable to your bike. But shimano, sram, bb386 designed for a threaded BB will fit your bike. Downside is a nicer double may require a different shifter and front der. From what I remember the it was a 48/38/28 mtb crankset, putting on a 48/32 crankset will let the shifting system work while having a nice range of gearing. The wheels are also fairly heavy so a decent wheelset can help some as well, usually it came with a rim labeled 750, its a fairly heavy rim as are the hubs, a nicer wheelset can be found for not a lot. After that its just replacing parts with lighter ones for diminishing returns. Its an easy to upgrade bike and a decent rider as is.