Old 01-25-22, 04:55 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Correct for those birds of any age who just like to ride; but not so for those birds obsessed with numbers, stats and metrics.
I am definitely not obsessed with numbers, stats, or metrics but I like to do an epic ride for my birthday each year. I don't have a computer on my bike or keep records but there are a lot of routes I know and I know the mileage and elevation from doing those routes for years with friends.

I'll be 68 in a few months and so far doing 68 miles is no big deal so I want to make it harder and more memorable by adding a bunch of climbing. Last year I did a ride of 70ish miles with 7300 feet of climbing. I might do the same one again.

It's not as difficult as some of the rides people post on here, but it's rewarding and I feel good that I can still do that kind of ride. It's been a couple years since I last did a century and I don't know if I want to do one again but being a not super athletic, slightly overweight, older rider with physical issues I am happy to be able to crank out a tough ride.